Blog Archive - February 2007
February 14, 2007
A large outbreak of Salmonella infections has occurred in 39 states with more than 288 people reporting sickness. Some of these people had to be hospitalized but no one has died. The infections have been traced to peanut butter contaminated with Salmonella. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is still investigating how the Salmonella got into the peanut butter. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat Peter Pan or Great Value brands of peanut butter with product code numbers beginning with 2111. If you or your family members have eaten the potentially contaminated peanut butter, see your health care provider and call your local health department.
The symptoms of salmonella infection are diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, vomiting and dehydration.
This is the first time peanut butter has been associated with an outbreak of Salmonella. Salmonella is commonly found in animals and poultry. Poultry and eggs are the most common culprits in Salmonella infections in humans. However, plants can become contaminated from the “run-off” of animal feces into fields where they grow. Then the Salmonella is carried to the processing plant where it could make it into the finished food product.
To prevent infection with Salmonella, follow the “avoidance techniques” provided on the Nanobug Card for Salmonella.